Litres of Water Saved
Energy Consumption Savings
With the ever-growing concerns regarding environmental pollution, climate change, and global warming becoming more alarming in the last decade, sustainability has become an integral part of every policy and procedure for businesses in the consumer and manufacturing industry. The washroom industry is no exception.
Architects, contractors, and building owners have grown increasingly conscious regarding standards for sustainability, and compliance is becoming one of their top priorities. Users of commercial washrooms now expect not only beautifully designed facilities but demand water and energy-saving features in taps, hand dryers, and other essentials for a complete washroom experience whilst being comfortable in the knowledge they are safeguarding our planet for the future.
At Dolphin Solutions, we guarantee the provision of premium products and accessories that streamline water and energy efficiency whilst managing and monitoring usage and wastage as well as understanding and ensuring our clients’ needs for beautiful, functional, and quality washroom solutions are promptly met.
Through the latest technology and the implementation of best practices perfecting the blend between sustainability and usability, Dolphin is determined to spearhead the global washroom innovation industry.
We at Dolphin Solutions remain relentless in our pursuit of excellence across washroom design, function, and experience. Our core values of care, integrity, and enthusiasm, translates to our unique approach of promoting washroom hygiene and user well-being.
We are committed to significantly reducing our carbon footprint through the optimisation of water and energy consumption without any environmental ill effects and without compromising excellence in usability and functionality.
Where We Are Now:
The Cradle-to-Grave Economy
Almost all industrial production is currently conducted on a “cradle-to-grave” basis, expecting that at the end of their useful life, products and their component resources will be entirely discarded—ending up in landfill, or incinerated, rather than having the ability to biodegrade, or to be reformed into new products.
At Dolphin Solutions, we take great pride in our efforts that directly or indirectly support, maintain, and promote sustainability and environmental management across all of our processes and systems.
Integrated Management System Accreditations
- ISO 9001. A globally recognised accreditation that specifies requirements for a quality management system when an organisation:
- Needs to demonstrate its ability to consistently provide products and services that meet customer and applicable statutory and regulatory requirements.
- Aims to enhance customer satisfaction through the effective application of the system, including processes for improvement of the system and the assurance of conformity to the customer and applicable statutory and regulatory requirements. The system is audited annually to ensure that standards are maintained.
- ISO 14001. A globally recognised endorsement that sets the criteria for effective environmental management. The system is audited annually to ensure that standards are maintained.
- It maps out a framework that a company or organization can follow to set up an effective environmental management system.
- It provides assurance to company management and employees as well as clients and other stakeholders that environmental impact is being measured and improved.
Sustainability Systems and Credentials
We at Dolphin Solutions are committed to our products having minimum impact on the global environment, whilst at the same time prioritising the end users’ well-being. We fully support clients and projects that aspire to achieve sustainable building standards, including BREEAM, WELL, SKA, and LEED.
Dolphin products contribute to water and energy efficiency, noise reduction, sanitation, and hygiene credits across the applicable sustainability certifications.
Our team of washroom experts can advise on the key credits and areas that can count towards certification by specifying the correct washroom products for installation. We are always happy to discuss any unique project sustainability and building performance considerations.
BREEAM (Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Method)
Dolphin Solutions’ products support efficient water consumption, and therefore the potential water savings by meeting the defined flow rates of BREEAM and reflecting the highest performance levels defined in the standard.
WELL (Promoting wellness in a building environment)
Washrooms are featured in several WELL concepts including Air, Water, Nourishment and Community. Dolphin Solutions’ products contribute to WELL’s scoring with hygiene being a key product focus, and our expertise in accessibility allowing for inclusive and compliant design.
SKA (Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) Environmental Assessment Method)
Dolphin Solutions manufacture and supply a wide range of low-flow and shut-off taps that meet the criteria for SKA rating. The Dolphin Inform App, our water management software, provides additional points for this rating by analysing, reporting, and communicating meaningful water management information to achieve water use savings.
Likewise, Dolphin hand dryers meet all the SKA rating criteria for energy consumption, nominal power output, drying time, motor speed, and standby power level.
LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design)
LEED’s “efficiency first” approach to water and energy consumption defines performance criteria within buildings that Dolphin’s products conform to as standard. Our products contribute to points across the categories for efficiency with water and energy use, without any adverse effects on the atmosphere or the environment.
Other than providing hydration and sanitation with our smart taps, another facet of our LEED compliance is ensuring control of drinking water (such as low-flow rates), as well as supplying soap dispensers and high-quality water to prevent the spread of bacteria during hand washing.
NABERS (National Australian Built Environmental Rating System)
NABERS focuses solely on energy performance; and although it complements BREEAM, it’s a simpler and more relevant standard to work towards if your focus is on operational energy and the resulting carbon emissions.
NABERS measures and rates the actual energy use of the workplace rather than the design performance, which only suggests what optimal performance could look like. NABERS is being introduced in the UK to close the “performance gap” between how much energy a building is designed to consume and how much it actually consumes.
Down the Road to Net Zero
Reusing, Repurposing, Recycling
All efforts are made to reuse, repurpose, and/or recycle materials, content, waste, and packaging.
- All our steel products contain a minimum of 60% recycled material and are 90% recyclable. (Hot air dryers and sensor taps require disposal complying with WEEE regulations.)
- All cardboard and plastic packaging is 100% re-used in dispatch processes or baled and recycled using waste transfer professionals.
All efforts to enforce water and energy efficiency to their maximum.
- Dolphin has installed solar energy panels on our factory/warehouse roof to contribute to our own energy requirements. Once this has been fully commissioned, we can begin analysing the reduction in fossil-generated energy and the effect on our GP/Energy cost equation.
- The solar energy farm at our Bodiam headquarters currently produces 148,000 watts (148 kw) of power, or an equivalent of about 250 amps per phase at 415 V. With enough sunshine, the solar farm is enough to power approximately 12 houses at full load.
- Other than the premium construction materials and the sleek coatings and finishes they are supplied with, our sensor taps are designed with low-flow rates, saving you up to 70% on your water consumption.
- With the water savings comes another 70% saving on energy consumption, as the sensor taps do not heat water that is not being used.
- Our latest WC flush product range has been designed with optimum water-saving features.
- All foam soap dispensers and systems save 10 to 15% water, and therefore energy, using half the amount of soap and therefore saving on soap packaging materials and transport.
- Our high-speed low-energy hand dryers are equipped with HEPA filters, which translates to over a 30% lower carbon footprint than paper towels and whilst being WELL compliant.
All efforts to streamline processes and systems in line with our sustainability goals
- Ramped-up and Refined LCAs. Life cycle analysis methods have been developed to help reduce the carbon footprint generated primarily by the procurement process.
- Energy usage is monitored and analysed monthly against output and consumption targets. Energy consumption is measured through the calculation of a figure representing GP generated by £1 cost of electricity.
- Recent improvements have included the installation of low consumption LED lighting and the use of multi-cavity tooling to reduce the number of machine cycles required per production run.
- “OneClick” EPD Generation Software. Environmental Product Declarations (EPD) are documents that transparently communicate the environmental performance or impact of any product or material over its lifetime. It has become the “go to” requirement for many project development specifiers, civil engineers, and architects. They also earn credits towards the achievement of LEED, BREEAM, and NABERS certification.Dolphin Solutions Ltd have recently purchased a user licence for the highly respected “OneClick” software-based EPD generation system which, after a period of consultancy and instruction, will allow Dolphin Solutions to research and compile EPDs in preparation for third-party verification and publication, further enhancing the sustainability credentials of Dolphin products.
Sustainable Programs, Partnerships, and Supply Chains
All efforts to ensure sustainability across all support, processes, transactions, and partnerships established.
- Carbon offset against shipping emissions. This enables us to compensate for the carbon emissions produced by the global transportation of our product parts, with pro-rata financial contributions towards selected ecological projects such as reforestation and wind farm development.
- Supplier Code of Conduct. Dolphin ensures that potential suppliers can demonstrate support for sustainable development, long-term economic planning, environmental protection, ethics, human rights, and labour rights.
- The timber (MDF) cabinets in our fitted behind mirror Alavo and Superloo systems originate from forestry managed in a responsible and sustainable way. All MDF panels are 100% recyclable.
Where We Need to Be:
The Beautifully Sustainable Washroom by Dolphin
Consumers and the environment demand a better alternative to the linear take-make-use-dispose economy. It is imperative that companies begin seriously considering what happens to their products after they are used.
As a first stage, we can consider providing an end-of-life product collection service, arranging the collection of items that are no longer required and organising the refurbishment and re-sale or the recycling of said items. We would initially consider negotiating this on a contract-by-contract basis.
Ideally, once a product is discarded, all its component materials should biodegrade or be reused. This is the cradle-to-cradle approach. A properly functioning cradle-to-cradle design process eliminates waste by creating products with materials that are inherently safe and can be used reused.
Converting from cradle-to-grave to cradle-to-cradle is a difficult but necessary shift to reach a more circular economy, requiring manufacturers to think in cycles rather than in a linear way.
Safeguarding the Future of Our Planet
Dolphin is creating a streamlined process of minimising any carbon footprint throughout its entire system—from gathering raw materials, production and manufacturing, through to transportation, distribution, and waste management.
After careful determination and taking sustainability issues into consideration, Dolphin’s mission is to create washroom solutions that are not only beautiful and functional but are fully compliant with the latest and ever-changing regulations from the governing bodies and environmental authorities.
In the long term, Dolphin’s track record of a satisfied client base, its remarkable experience and immense product knowledge, coupled with its sustainably driven ethos and regulation proficiency will enable us to continuously create washrooms that provide the perfect integration of beauty and sustainability.